Thursday, September 18, 2008

Appreciation

We received power late Tuesday night, and man, I have not been that excited in a long time. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, eagerly packing all our belongings as quickly as I could...while trying to not look too eager about leaving my sister-in-law's house...so excited to go home and sleep in my own bed.

Since we have been home, my power has flickered on and off more times than I can count, and every single time, panic sets in, wondering if we are about to lose it again.

I have realized how much I take for granted in my life. Having my own home and having my "space" when I need it, running water that you don't think twice about before you drink, light that reaches to all corners of the house, a refrigerator with food and cold drinks, ice, a fence that provides privacy from the neighbors, a clean neighborhood where homes are kept neat, nearby restaurants with a variety of food...

As much as I complain about our "struggles" in life and how we have to work so hard to be able to buy the things we want, I now realize (as corny as it sounds) what really matters. What we need in life, and what we must do when those needs have been compromised.

Since Hurricane Ike, we have spent more time outside. Talking and working alongside our neighbors. Fixing meals that feed a lot of people at one time, not just two of us. Enjoying the silence of no background TV. Reading. Not wearing makeup or fixing my hair. Paying special attention to the PEOPLE in our lives and not the THINGS. I appreciate the people and the generous and encouraging spirits that fill my life. Without the generosity of others, I don't know how anyone could get through this. But we are all here- going through it together- and I think we will come out stronger on the other side, by simply appreciating one another a little more.

I know this post is scattered. I'm not exactly writing in a clear and concise manner, as my thoughts are slightly sporadic about this. A lot has happened, and I'm trying to soak it all in and make sense of all my thoughts. I think the main point I am trying to get across is that I am thankful.
Thankful for the family who let us crash at their place while we had no power.
Thankful for the neighbor's help taking apart the fence and cutting down the tree.
Thankful for the laughter provided by my daughter to keep the situation light.
Thankful for the prayers and sweet comments sent from people who do not live here.
Thankful for my company's emergency relief funds.
Thankful for the work ethic and protective nature of my husband.

And especially thankful for the men and women who have left their families and homes to work around the clock, trying to restore power and bring some normalcy to our city again. Thank you for your sacrifice.

3 comments:

The Childs Family said...

At the end of the day we always have so many blessings to count and be grateful for. I am grateful for your perspective to find the positive in a rough situation. Life truly is beautiful.

Shell & Mike said...

You do have alot to be thankgul for....I have alot to be thankful for. It's hard to keep that in mind all the time....and unfortunately God reminds us the hard way sometimes. =) Glad things are clear for you now.....

Matt and Sarah Pitts said...

Great post, Mel. In the midst of what seems like sporadic choas, it is an amazing comfort knowing we worship the Lord Jesus whom even the winds and waves obey.

I can't wait to see you...even though it may be at Christmas time. Thank you for being willing to host a shower for Gracie and me. Love you!

Sarah